Borrowdale Parish Council
Website Accessibility Statement
- Accessibility statement
This website is run by Borrowdale Parish Council. We want as many people as possible to be able to use this website. For example, that means you should be able to:
- Change colours, contrast levels and fonts (Using High Contrast for Chrome or NoSquint for Firefox)
- Zoom in up to 300% without the text spilling off the screen-To do this you can use (CTRL + on a PC, or CMD + on a Mac)
- Navigate most of the website using just a keyboard
- Navigate most of the website using speech recognition software
- Listen to most of the website using a screen reader (including the most recent versions of JAWS, NVDA, and Voiceover). Try Google Selection Reader
We have also made the website text as simple as possible to understand.
- How accessible the website is
We know some parts of this website are not fully accessible:
- You cannot modify the line height or spacing of text
- Most older PDF and Word documents (Pre-Sept 2018) are not fully accessible to screen reader software as these are not in active administration (being kept up to date).
- You cannot skip to the main content when using a screen reader
- Some of our pages are difficult to navigate using just a keyboard
- The website maybe more accessible when using a Mac if you use Chrome as your browser.
- What to do if you cannot access parts of this website
If you need information on this website in a different format like accessible PDF, large print, easy read, audio recording or braille, please email the clerk. We will consider your request and get back to you within 10 days.
Please note the Clerk only works very part time for the Council (less than 1 day a week).
- Reporting accessibility problems with this website
We are always looking to improve the accessibility of this website. If you find any problems not listed on this page or think we are not meeting accessibility requirements, contact the Clerk on email@example.com giving the page title and the nature of the problem.
- Enforcement procedure
The Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC) is responsible for enforcing the Public Sector Bodies (Website & Mobile Applications) (No.2) Accessibility Regulations 2018 (the ‘accessibility regulations’). If your not happy with how we respond to your complaint, contact the Equality Advisory and Support Service (EASS at www.equalityadvisoryservice.com .
Navigation and accessing information
There is no way to skip the repeated contact in the page header (for example, a ‘skip to main content’ option). This fails WCAG 2.1 success criterion 2.4.1.
We have assessed the cost of fixing the issues with navigation and accessing information, and with interactive tools and transactions. We believe that doing so now would be a disproportionate burden within the meaning of the accessibility regulations.
- Content that’s not within the scope of the accessibility regulations
Many of our older PDFs and Word documents do not meet accessibility standards- for example, they are not structured so they are accessible to a screen reader. This does not meet WCAG 2.1 success criterion 4.1.2.
The accessibility regulations do not require us to fix PDFs of other documents published before 23rd September 2018 if they are not essential to providing our services.
Any new PDFs or Word documents we publish will meet accessibility standards.
- How we tested this website
The website was tested during July 2020. The test was carried out in house by the Clerk of Borrowdale Parish Council.
We sampled page/s from each of the main headings on the home page. These were sampled using Lighthouse for Chrome and all pages achieved a minimum of 98% accessibility. The majority of the website achieved 100% accessibility.
- Our main website platform, available at borrowdale.org.uk